NACA Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The National Association for Campus Activities is committed to creating an engaging environment that empowers members to intentionally center diversity, equity, and inclusion. We integrate and advance equitable and inclusive opportunities to create college communities where everyone belongs.
NACA commits to:
- Enhancing member learning experiences through programs and resources that will increase awareness of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusivity
- Creating resources and building a foundation that members can use to facilitate programs and conversations on both individual and organizational levels
- Implementing internal and external practices to advance accessibility, equity, and social justice through innovative programming, events, and research
Non-Discrimination, Diversity Advancement and Affirmative Action Principles
NACA is committed to advancing diversity development and the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action through its respective programs, services and volunteer involvement. To ensure compliance with these principles, the organization will:
- Not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, economic status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ethnic background or disability in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
- Promote vigorous efforts to enhance, develop and increase a diverse volunteer pool in all areas of the Association.
- Actively promote diversity in its programs and services.
- Expect all volunteers and NACA® Office staff to consistently display sensitivity to diversity and the principles of affirmative action.
- Promote the importance of eliminating discriminatory and/or culturally insensitive language, behavior and content from NACA-sponsored activities and will urge all members and guests of the Association to cooperate in this effort. There is no intent to support censorship. The purpose is to induce thought and advance planning in an effort to ensure that showcase performances, Campus Activities Marketplace displays, educational sessions and other NACA-sponsored activities reflect appropriate diversity and sensitivity in their plans and actions.
This page will serve as a repository for diversity and inclusion programs, resources, and services and will be updated regularly.
Competencies for Diversity & Inclusion – to assist in developing an increased awareness of diversity and inclusion and to offer guidelines for facilitating diverse and engaged communities on your campuses. The competencies include four domains: Knowledge and Practice, Culture, Engagement and Composition, & Advocacy and Social Justice
NACA® Encore – our digital library hosts over 120 resources, webinars, and articles on diversity for you to use in your work and programming, just select the "diversity/social justice" keyword to filter the resources. You can also filter by the "multicultural student competency" for student-centered resources.
NACA® On-Demand Diversity & Inclusion Channel - this channel contains webinars pertaining to diversity, inclusion, social justice and historically black colleges & universities (HBCUs).
NACA® 24/7 Agency Directory - search for speakers, educators, performers and workshop facilitators on a variety of diversity topics. You can also search for minority-owned, woman-owned, and LGBTQIA+ owned businesses.
DiversiTEA - Join members of NACA’s Diversity Advisory Group (DAG) on the first Thursday of each month at 4pm eastern for candid conversations around diversity, equity, and inclusion. This brave space for professional staff is designed to educate and provide an open time for dialogue.
Leadership Fellows Program – provides leadership development and related opportunities to new professional members from underrepresented populations (including but not limited to: ability, age, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, sex, gender, etc.) within the NACA membership. There are also opportunities for established professionals to serve as mentors.
Diversity Advisory Group – The Diversity Advisory Group (DAG) guides diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives for the association; assists with the integration of DEI practices throughout the Association; and engages in special initiatives that promote advisor development. Use the Volunteer Directory to see who volunteers on the DAG and how to contact them.
Diversity & Inclusion Task Force Report (May 2017)
Stand Up to White Supremacy - NACA Blog by Dr. Sarah Keeling, July 27, 2020
Inclusive Presenter Guidelines - Adapted from various resources from the Association of University Centers on Disabilities (2018).
Presenter Template with Accessibility Tips - Blank NACA PowerPoint template with tips on how to ensure maximum accessibility.