Instructions for Authors
JOURNAL AIM AND SCOPE
The Journal of Campus Activities Practice and Scholarship (JCAPS) is a social science peer-reviewed journal. It focuses on publishing rigorous, relevant, and respected scholarship related to postsecondary education co-curricular campus activities, and translating such scholarship to practice. It especially encourages submissions from practitioners throughout higher education.
Typical submissions to the journal cover topics such as:
- Student and leadership development within campus activities
- Programming within a diverse and multicultural campus
- Advising students and their organizations
- Campus programming, governance, and/or funding boards
- Assessing the effects of student involvement in campus activities
- Navigating political and legal issues in working with students
- Professional development for staff and faculty who work with students
ABOUT THE JOURNAL
JCAPS serves as the journal for the National Association for Campus Activities. It is a blind peer-reviewed journal publishing high quality, original scholarship focused on the research and practice of postsecondary co-curricular campus activities. While a primary focus is on empirical research related to campus activities, we especially encourage manuscripts that focus on connecting the scholarship of campus activities with its practice. We also encourage submissions from new and emerging scholars engaged in campus activities and the broader field of student affairs and higher education. Please see the JCAPS Aim and Scope and Types of Manuscripts for more information.
JCAPS is committed to peer review and upholding the highest standards of review for its published scholarship. Once your manuscript has been assessed for suitability by one of the JCAPS editors, it will be blind-reviewed by independent, anonymous expert referees.
When submitting, please submit in a Word.docx document, and unless stipulated otherwise below, follow Association of Psychological Association 7th Edition style guidelines. Please use Times New Roman font, 12 point, double-spaced, using 2.5cm or 1in margins. Within your submission, please include:
- manuscript title;
- abstract of no more than 150 words;
- any appropriate tables, figures, and references within the manuscript body;
Tables should, if possible, be formatted as a Microsoft Word table, in-text, using APA formatting guidelines.
Figures should, if possible, be embedded in-text and submitted as separate files from the manuscript.
There is no need to include a running head. Please make sure you have eliminated any information within your manuscript that might compromise the ability to conduct a blinded review.
- Empirical Research: Submissions overall should be no longer than 7,000 words, not including references, but including all tables, figures, and abstract. Please do not include appendices.
- Media/Resource Review: Review submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words, including references.
- Scholarship-to-Practice Brief: Scholarship-to-Practice briefs should be no longer than 3,500 words, including references.
- Focus on Emerging Scholars: Submissions should be no longer than 3,500 words for Empirical Research articles (not including references), and no longer than 2,000 words for Media/Resource Reviews or Scholarship-to-Practice Briefs (including references).
If you wish to be considered for the “Focus on Emerging Scholars” section, at least the lead author MUST be currently matriculated or graduated with less than three years of full-time experience. Please indicate that this is the case on the title page of your manuscript.
Click here to reivew Section Descriptions.
There are no submission, page, or acceptance charges for JCAPS.